Learning a foreign language by being completely immersed in it will accelerate the learning process, and you will become fluent more quickly. As an American who can speak a second language, you will be a more desirable candidate in the job market. By embracing the exchange opportunity, you will gain a new perspective of the ever-changing global world in which we live.
There is a non-refundable application deposit of $50. This deposit is included in the total price; it is not additional.
Application documents include:
• Basic Information: family, interests, preferences, hobbies
• Teacher’s Recommendation
• School Transcripts (last 3 years)
• Medical History, Immunizations and Physician Release
• Personal Essay
• Photo Album
• Copy of Passport
Additional documents will be required depending on your country of choice.
Students attend classes in the local language, so previous experience with the language is certainly beneficial even if not technically “required”. As long as a student is putting in a genuine effort then they are likely to succeed in the program even if they did not possess extensive language skills prior to arriving. Teachers and pupils are typically very patient when working with American students, and they welcome the opportunity to help international students to broaden their horizons. We are also happy to connect students with tutors and other language support resources upon arrival if deemed necessary. Some countries offer students the opportunity to participate in an intensive language course or an immersion week before starting the program. These optional add-on programs are not included in the listed price.
We are also partnered with both FundMyTravel and Project Travel, which enable students to raise money for their abroad experience through crowd-funding. We highly recommend utilizing either of these platforms as a way to help pay for the program if you cannot do so independently.
- Round-trip airfare
- Medical and travel insurance
- Student I.D. card
- Application fee
- Host family placement
- Room and board
- Local coordinator supervision
- Monthly report for parents
- Local country office support
- Quest office support
- Arrival orientation
Program Fees Do Not Include:
- Personal expenses (~ $300/month): clothes, toiletries, leisure activities, meals eaten outside of the host family home, even if with the host family, etc.
- School expenses: fees, uniforms, textbooks, school supplies, activities
- Tuition (for private school requests)
- Visa and immigration fees
- Transportation and travel within the host country
- Add-ons: trips offered by Partner, placement area guarantees
- Language tutoring
- Medical expenses and immunizations