F-1 Public High School
Having choices is what the IQ F-1 public school program is all about!
IQ USA: The Power of Educational Choice
IQ USA is a division of ICES
Our F-1 Public High School Program is all about giving you the freedom to choose where you will live and study in the United States. It’s a big country, and we work with many schools and district offices all across the U.S., giving you the widest possible selection of regions and academic programs.
Our F-1 Team understands both the excitement and the challenges that exchange students face when embarking on their year abroad. In fact, many of our team members have experienced language barriers and culture shock first-hand in their own lives, which makes them highly qualified to help you get acclimated to life in the United States. You’ll sense their compassion in everything they do.
IQ USA carefully screens host families using an at-home interview and criminal background check to ensure that they are committed to student safety and have a genuine desire to share American culture. Once selected, host families undergo an in-depth orientation program, and IQ Local Coordinators are trained to supervise placement and offer support during the program.
8 Great Reasons to Choose IQ USA’s F-1 Private High School Program
2. Easy Enrollment: The IQ Team takes care of everything, including acceptance paperwork and timely delivery of the I-20 document.
3. Safety First: Host families are carefully screened for student safety and comfort.
4. Flexible Programs: Choose from full-year or semester programs, with extensions available for up to five years of study. After the first year, you can also make arrangements for a transfer to a private school on the same F-1 visa.
5. IQ Coordinators: You’re never on your own with an IQ Coordinator by your side to offer guidance throughout the school term.
6. Monthly Progress Reports: There’s built-in peace of mind for parents, who’ll be able to make sure their children are getting the most out the exchange experience.
7. 24-hour Emergency Line: Help is just a phone call away for students and host families alike.
8. Arrival Orientation Program: Exciting programs in either New York or Los Angeles help students know what to expect and get acclimated to life in the U.S. before heading off to meet their host families.
What’s Included in Your Program?
When you enroll in IQ USA’s F-1 Public High School Program, you will be enrolled as an F-1 visa participant. As such, you can only attend public school in the United States for one year; however, you do have the option to transfer to a private school for consecutive years. All public schools in our program do charge tuition for exchange students. Each school has its own international student admissions criteria, such as English proficiency and GPA requirements, we obtain school acceptance based on your qualifications and personal criteria.
Here’s what your program covers:
• Full school tuition
• Host family home accommodation, including meals
• International student fees
• IQ Student Counselor
• School registration and application fees
• Medical insurance
• Ground transportation to and from the airport
• 3-day arrival orientation in NYC or LA
• Local coordinator supervision and guidance
ICES / IQ Arrival Orientation & Tour Information
New York City — 4 days / 3 nights
Orientation in New York begins with an introduction to your host community. You’ll learn all about what to expect of American culture, including differences you haven’t seen in the movies or on TV! You’ll also get an overview about the exciting adventures that lie ahead.
The New York City tour includes a trip to see many of the most famous landmarks in the city known to locals as “The Big Apple.” You’ll get to see the famed Statue of Liberty and the iconic Manhattan skyline, and you’ll be able to do some shopping amid the bright lights of Times Square, the most famous gathering place in the city.
Los Angeles — 4 days / 3 nights
For students attending the West Coast orientation, we cover the same important information about your host community and American culture, this time in sunny Southern California.
The Los Angeles and Hollywood tour begins in Beverly Hills, where you may catch a glimpse of famous movie stars in their own fashionable neighborhood. You’ll also see the Third Street Promenade and Santa Monica Pier, where you can enjoy the beach. Other highlights of the tour include the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Dolby Theater, Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum, the Chinese Theater and the Griffith Observatory for a great view of the famous Hollywood sign.
- AGE: 15- 18
- ACADEMICS: A minimum of a C average in all courses taken over the past three years. Transcripts translated into English and a Teacher’s Recommendation
- ATTITUDE: The maturity to deal with the inevitable challenges of adapting to another culture and communicating in a foreign language.
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS: Demonstrate acceptable scores on the Standard Test for English Proficiency. Students should also be comfortable and competent in using English conversationally to follow course work and socialize.
- INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY: An open mind toward learning the ins and outs of another culture, such as its social customs, as well as concrete experiences such as food and fun.